Friday, August 1, 2008

I Got The BonBons


Well, today, the shipment of Halter BonBons arrived. Since until about a week ago, I was not aware of these candies, I will give a brief update.

On daughter Kris' blog, I noticed that she had a picture of a small green box, on which I could read the name Halter, and the word "mint". A little web-digging produced that this was a box of mint candies, sold by a Swiss company called Halter BonBons.

They began making candies in 1907 and are still at it. On the boxes, you can see the round label that celebrates their 100th
anniversary in 2007. The candies are small, hard, no-sugar added treats. I found a company in Canada that sells the bonbons , put in an order, they shipped it last Monday and today, I'm eatin' 'em.

They are quite good, but there are only 20 in a box at a cost of $2.50. Plus it cost me $7.00 to have the two boxes shipped to Ohio. Cheaper than going to Switzerland, but still pretty expensive. I got cherry and watermelon this time. I'm thinking lemon for the next shipment. They sell cases of 16 boxes for just over $33.00. That is a better price per box.


Since brothers Jacob and Abraham Halter, our ancestors, left Switzerland for Alsace-Lorraine around 1650, and the candy company wasn't started until over 250
years later, I'm afraid that Kris and Mike are not heirs to the Swiss candy fortune. Sorry guys. Maybe you have a better chance with the Halters that make the cool Swiss watches.

No comments: