Thursday, July 10, 2008

Black Raspberries, etc.


This summer's crop of raspberries has begun. I gathered the first ripe ones this afternoon. The main location is behind our storage shed, but there are a couple of other spots where the bushes have started to grow. We also had 15 cherry tomatoes waiting for us when we got back from Tennessee. We had some of those on a salad for lunch today. The eight regular tomato plants haven't produced any ripe ones yet, but it won't be long. I think I'll hit them with a little plant food tomorrow to help them along.

We also have quite a growth of wild strawberries in the back yard, along the deck. Last year, I ate a couple and they tasted awful. Since then, I did a little reading and found that they usually don't get ripe until August. I'll give them some more time to get sweeter and see ho
w they taste.

As I did when I was a kid and went picking raspberries with my mom and younger brother, I left some berries for the birds. I'm sure that they are responsible for the plants being where they are, anyway. Thanks, little b
uddies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alert me when the tomatoes are ready...maybe we will come up for tomato soup making again.

Kris